Nothing can make a person happier than Jesus can. It is just a fact.
Of course, each person has his own idea about what will make him happy as an individual. Each person then pursues a course of action attempting to obtain whatever it is he believes will make him happy. So the world is full of millions of people all relentlessly pursuing their happiness according to what they believe will make them most happy.
Yet sadly, many fail to see that only a relationship with Jesus Christ can make a person truly happy.
Here are two reasons why:
- When we are in union with him, we are forgiven of all our sins. Nobody will ever be truly happy or have lasting happiness without this forgiveness.
- When we are in union with him, we are adopted into his family and are granted everlasting life. Nobody in hell is currently happy, and nobody going there will be for long. Only in Christ can we find happiness and actually keep it.
Based on these two truths alone, I think it is clear that real and lasting happiness only happens when we are in a right relationship with Jesus Christ.
In a recent sermon aptly titled, Nothing Will Make You Happier Than Jesus Can, I discussed this idea from the standpoint of Matthew 14:13-20, when Jesus fed the five thousand men and their families. From that text, I drew the following three lessons:
- Do everything you can to get near to Jesus
- Trust deeply in the power of Jesus
- Enjoy the overabundant blessing Jesus provides
When you apply these three lessons to your life, the happiness and joy Christ provides can be yours, with twelve baskets of leftovers (metaphorically speaking, of course).
C.S. Lewis, teaching this same idea, said it well:
It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.